You look through your windows every day but they’re often overlooked when it comes to prioritizing home improvement projects. But replacing old windows can pay off in several ways. With heating and cooling costs on the rise in Kansas City and around the country, old, inefficient windows can cost big on energy bills. Newer windows are engineered with energy-efficient features that can significantly decrease your energy bills. Many newer windows also qualify for tax credits. Installing replacement windows can also give your home an instant facelift, which can increase the resale value of your home.
How do you know if the cost of replacement windows is justified for your home? Several things can indicate that your home would benefit from replacement windows:
- Your home currently has single-paned, non-insulated windows.
- The windows in your home are 20 years old or older.
- You energy bills are unusually high even after you’ve taken other steps to improve energy efficiency in your home.
- You feel drafts near your windows.
- The glass is cold to the touch. Windows should never feel more than moderately cold even when outdoor temperatures are bitterly cold.
- Your windows are difficult to open and close or won’t lock.
- Your windows are rotting, warped, or peeling.
With the vast variety of replacement windows on the market, selecting the right ones can be overwhelming. An experienced window distributor like McCray Lumber and Millwork can help you select the best replacement windows for your home. Some things to look for in new replacement windows include:
- Energy efficiency
- LoE2 coatings that reflect heat into your home in the winter and block heat in the summer
- Argon, krypton, or other inert gas between panes to insulate
- Low U-factor and high R-value. U-factor measures the ability of the glass to conduct heat and the R-value measures its ability to insulate.
- Double or triple-glazed glass. Double-glazing can cut heat loss by almost 50% over single-glazed glass.
- UV protection that will protect furnishings from fading
- A strong, reliable warranty
- A style that works well with the style and architecture of your home
Replacement windows are a significant investment in your home and selecting the right replacement windows is a decision that should be made carefully. Do your research and determine how much you’re willing to spend. McCray Lumber and Millwork carries all of the top brands of replacement windows in the industry and would be more than happy to help you find replacement windows that fit your needs and your budget.